How to find a position as a guest researcher

If you consider working at a university in Baden-Württemberg as a guest lecturer or researcher, you will find many opportunities depending on your research focus and experience.

A stay as a guest researcher can last from one month to several years, depending on the program and funding available. You may be already in contact with fellow scientists at the university of your choice. In that case, the international office both at your university and the university in Baden-Württemberg can give you helpful advice. One way to choose a university in Baden-Württemberg is to search the database at

The Gerit Database contains information about 29 000 research organizations in Germany with a profile and job openings as well as other useful data. The information is provided by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK).

How to find funding

There are several scholarships, fellowships and funds available for international researchers who want to work as a guest researcher at a university or research institute in Baden-Württemberg. The portal has a searchable database for international science positions. Yerun, a network of young European research universities, presents research mobility awards for selected researchers and supports the cooperation between international scientists. The DAAD also has a scholarship and grant database for international researchers.

The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation offers several research fellowships lasting from 6-24 months for international researchers in Germany. With funding from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, postdocs are able to work on a research project at a chosen university or research institute. There is also support available for language courses before the work as a guest researcher.

To find more options for advancing your career and to find funding and the right academic position, check out Research in Germany. Here, you will find options to participate in scientific work as a visiting professor and lecturer and information about support for dual careers when you plan to come to Germany with your partner.